When selecting a local removalist, Adelaide is a place where you should select carefully, especially in the northern suburbs like Salisbury, Enfield and Tea Tree Gully. To make your selection process a little easier, here are some key questions you should ask when ringing around.
If you ask these questions how they are written, you should quickly be able to pick out the crème of the crop. To be prepared you must have a basic list of items, your moving date, pickup and delivery access.
- How long will my move take and how accurate is your estimate? This question is an inexperienced removalists nightmare. To quote an accurate time over the phone based on your list of items takes real skill and experience.
- How much do you charge and does that include GST and or hidden surcharges? Where do you charge from? Many removalists will provide a low hourly rate that seems appealing, but sting you in hidden surcharges like excessive travelling times, adding GST afterwards, charging extra for stairs or certain items like piano’s. The appealing very quickly becomes appalling.
- Who will be handling my goods on the day? Do they work for you or another company and what level of experience do they have? How can I be sure I am getting good quality workmanship? This is and always has been the bane of Adelaide furniture removals, it is rare to find a company that actually provides skilled removalists. In this line of questions you are also finding out whether the company you are dealing with are lead dealers. Lead dealers don’t own any trucks and only contract your job to other removalists for profit. You may be ok with this but it’s worth knowing all the same.
- Are my goods insured? If so for what and to what value, can you please elaborate? Can you provide a copy of your policy so I have it for my records? Most unreputable removalists will squirm when you ask these questions, many lie and mislead about their policies. Asking them to elaborate and provide proof is a sure way to know where you stand with insurance.
- Can you provide me with the phone numbers of at least 3 customers you have moved in the last week as referrals? This is a bold question but carries more weight than all the rest put together. If you are unsure about the integrity of a business, ask this question to remove all doubt. A truly honest, high level removal business will have no issue handing over the phone numbers of as many as you want. Remember, it’s important to select people from the recent week as any removalist can draw up their own dummy testimonials, or dig one up from a customer years ago that they were able to impress.
Finally, ask them to provide all of their answers in writing.
These questions are designed to warn unreputable removalists that you cross your “t’s” and dot your “I’s” and are seeking a good quality service. If they know they can’t provide what you are looking for you will hear it in their tone.
If you want to save yourself a lot of time, call us today, we are more than happy to accommodate all of your questions.
If you like this, check out our affiliates blog on Profit For Screw, finally a business is taking charge on quality control in the Interstate removalists Melbourne market.