We have seen a growing trend in Adelaide’s real estate market. The houses are getting smaller and there is less garage and shed space being provided.
A couple of questions come to mind. Does this mean people actually own less stuff? What if you don’t have a large shed, an extra garage or a convenient friend or family member with extra space? Then where do you store your excess stuff?
Why Do We End Up Needing Storage Anyway?
People have different reasons why they need to use storage facilities. Let’s name a few.
As time passes, you may not realize how much stuff you have accumulated over the years. You then decide to change your lifestyle by decluttering and downsizing. Rather than making impulsive decisions which you might regret later, you take the time to place your belongings into storage. After all, we don’t all have the time to go and do a full Marie Kondo.
Second, you might prefer to free up some space in your home and store holiday or seasonal decorations until you need them again. No more juggling to get around the Christmas tree just to get something out of your shed!
Third, you may be in the middle of moving and need to temporarily store your excess possessions until the new space is ready. You may also be putting your home up for sale and need to keep unnecessary items off-site.
Whatever your reasons are for needing storage, you will find these various storage options in Adelaide to be your best bet.
Self Storage and Self Storage Facilities
Self-storage units and facilities refer to a building or a group of buildings which contain varying sizes of divided, individual, and private storage for rent on a short or long-term basis.
When it comes to self-storage, Adelaide has a number of options to choose from. There are large corporate companies like Kennards Storage, National Storage, Storage King and U-Store-It. There is also a range of smaller family-run businesses that operate with the same concept.
What Are The Benefits?
The benefits of using self-storage are:
- They provide different sizes of storage units, each with their own pricing schemes.
- Most of them allow 24/7 access.
- There are no fees to access your unit.
- You can Do-It-Yourself and load the unit or have your removalists assist you.
- They often provide individual alarm systems on each unit and have security methods in place to monitor the whole premises.
What Are The Downsides?
The downsides of using self-storage facilities in Adelaide are the following:
- It potentially costs more per square metre.
- You can experience high traffic of people around your unit.
- Some companies will try to lock you into a contract for a set period of time.
- They are often very hard to get truck access to, which results in higher removalist fees.
- The insurance on your goods often comes at an additional cost.
- It requires double handling! All your things must be unloaded from the truck and then reloaded into the unit.
Container storage units are mostly shipping containers made from durable materials like steel. It guarantees single handling of your goods which saves money and reduces risk. The truck can come out with the container onboard. Your items are then loaded straight into the container from the house. Once full, the same container is taken back to a depot, lifted off the truck and stored in a large area.
What Are The Benefits?
The benefits of this type of storage are the following:
- It has lower removal costs, as your belongings are only carried and loaded once.
- A Removals company supplies moving blankets whilst loading.
- If you decide to move interstate after storing your goods, then the container can simply be placed on a train and sent as is.
- It is often cheaper to store the container per month than to rent a storage unit.
What Are The Downsides?
The downsides to container storage are:
- Containers are often left out in the weather, providing very little protection against extreme heat. This can be damaging to some furniture.
- It has very limited access options. The container often needs to be picked up and driven out again. Generally, the owner has no ability to access at any given time.
- Some unethical companies don’t use forklifts to get your container on or off the truck. They use the same technique as a tow truck that lifts a car onto its tray which is up and down on a 45-degree angle.
Imagine how dangerous this can be for your goods inside the container! It is therefore essential that you clarify with your moving company how they hoist containers onto their trucks.
The Home-Pack storage is made of a large wooden crate, measuring about a third the size of 20-feet steel, shipping container.
It is a smart, cost-effective, and convenient system specifically designed for the storage of furniture and other household goods. Because it is easy to move on a forklift or a pallet trolley, they are effortless to move around a warehouse.
What Are The Benefits?
The benefits of using Home-Pack Storage are as follows:
- They are kept inside a warehouse, which shields your goods from the elements. Removalists will also supply blankets for added protection.
- Being only 9 cubic meters in volume allows you to use as many as needed. You don’t need to pay for unused space.
- They are stored in the company’s own warehouse and brought out as needed. The public has no access to the area they are stored in.
- They can be wheeled to wherever the truck is parked, keeping time costs low when transferring goods.
What Are The Downsides?
The downsides of this type of storage are the following:
- Your stuff generally has to be loaded and unloaded twice, just like the self-storage unit. (This isn’t the case when we pack, as we have special trucks built to be able to carry the homepack to you!)
- You can incur a small access fee if you need to get to your goods once they are stored.
Stowing is the moving industry term for loading or packing furniture and boxes into a defined area. Whether you have limited space provided by a friend/relative or if you are paying per square meter, you always want to use it as efficiently as you can.
Tips On Stowing
We have put together some tips, suggestions and additional information which will help you get the most out of your available space and keep your stored valuables safe.
Keep your Stowing Square
Professional removalists load their trucks tight into little square tiers. This maximises safety and efficiency of space. Storage shelves, cabinets and racks play a central role in organising your storage area.
Start by putting one of these shelves in the corner of the unit, keeping it flush or flat against the wall. From there, you can fill each of the shelves up with storage boxes, plastic containers, bags of miscellaneous pieces and any other small loose objects.
Remember to stack items from the sturdiest or heaviest at the bottom to the lightest and most fragile at the top!
Use Plastic Wrapping
Plastic covers can be a great way of keeping the dust out of your upholstered furniture and mattress. Removals companies and storage centres sell these in custom sizes.
Keep in mind that when you are storing leather furniture, you should not use plastic wraps! The leather needs to ‘breathe’ and it may be damaged if it is completely wrapped up in plastic whilst stored. Use fabric sheets to give additional protection to your leather goods, instead.
Don’t Close the Fridge or Freezer
When you store a fridge or freezer, it is imperative that you do not store it with the doors closed! When you store it closed, it creates the perfect environment for mould and fungi to grow.
To keep it fresh and pleasant-smelling, place some tea bags inside. The tea acts as a natural disinfectant and helps absorb moisture.
Use Towels, Cardboard and Sheets to Protect Surfaces
Since you can’t store everything on the ground, you will have to stack your belongings. Removalists use furniture blankets between items to ensure that nothing gets scraped, rubbed or scratched.
When packing your own unit, using towels, sheets, or even cardboard can give a similar level of protection.
Do You Need Access To Some Of What Is Stored?
If you are planning to access certain valuables from your unit, then you need to put them in last. Nothing is more annoying than having to empty half the unit to get to something in the middle!
Why You Need Professional Help
You might be tempted to do the packing and storing all by yourself. While that is a possibility, you might also consider the benefits of hiring professional help.
Proper loading and unloading take years of practice. Removalists can save you space and money. They know how to stack your goods correctly, so you will not end up paying for space you don’t actually need.
They guarantee the use of strong boxes to support your belongings. Lastly, they offer a Fabric Protection Kit to assure you that dust and water will not be an issue.
Complete Removals Is Your Storage Problems Solution
The important thing is to be aware of your options and to choose dependable and trustworthy removalists like Complete Removals who will be with you every step of the way.